July 28, 2008

meeting those who have spoken for me


The day after Mad Men’s second season premier, I read Troy Patterson’s Nice Office, a review of the show published on Slate. Patterson mentioned two names, two style influencers, in his description of the show’s opening sequence. I had never heard of either...but I have now.

Patterson writes:
The show excites the eyes in a way that both tugs at the soul and sets off the chic-meter of magazine art directors, and I'm including the bravura animated opening sequence where an ad exec, pictured in Saul Bass silhouette, feels his world literally dissolve and goes plunging past Mies van der Rohe-style towers lit up with all the signal imagery of the biz at midcentury: girls in stockings, liquor in tumblers, families in bliss.

Now, having just read a very, very tiny bit about each and looking at a minor representation of their body of work, I am again elated to find out the name of those who had the vision, who expressed a vision that I have embraced, made my own. Those who have said it for me. Good to finally meet, Mies van der Rohe and Saul Bass

I do so appeciate those who have spoken for me.