December 26, 2009

Tonight will be the coolest night


Tonight will be the coolest night

Tonight will be the coolest night we've had yet this fall;
Supposed to get down to 42°.
Most of the leaves are still green
but some have changed
in the last few days.
Temperatures tonight will help them along their journey.

I loved it when I took Springer out earlier and
the full moon was creeping
higher above Big Cedar Mountain.
The thick aroma of fallen leaves and
their crispy crunch underfoot
carried my senses to a wonderful place
where my mind was willing to dwell,
if only momentarily.

Pine needles twinkled in the breeze across the face of the moon
while I stood in the wood waiting for Springer.
It was time to take him to his fence and
get back in and
call Mama and Daddy.

I wanted to share those moments with you,
so here's the best
I can do.

Lines composed by Harry Williamson upon walking his dog Springer on a cool North Carolina fall evening in 2005.