July 29, 2010

close, but no billy (bibles xix)

I have always wanted but never gorren the opportunity to ask Billy Graham inscribe my bible. Been close...but no billy...yet.


Torrey Johnson founded Youth for Christ in the mid-1940’s, had a radio show in Chicago which he gave up to a very young Billy Graham, and then hired the young preacher to be YFC’s first full time evangelist.
Inscription: Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. I Corinthians 15:58

So that was close to Billy Graham, but it wasn’t Billy Graham. An even closer connection was his mother.

Three women have inscribed one of my bibles: my mother; Nina Andrews, the junior department sunday school superintendent; and Mrs. W. F. Graham, Billy Graham’s mother, Morrow Coffey Graham. The occasion was not a speaking engagement. She was not preaching, or even offering a testimony as I remember. She was a guest, attending something where I was as well, and we were introduced. I remember thinking she was small, and her inscription was that way, alone on the page, top left corner, as if to be sure to leave room for many others.
Inscription: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15